Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump says it would be a ‘great honor’ to be jailed for violating gag order

Trump says it would be a ‘great honor’ to be jailed for violating gag order

https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1776739392717033489

Trump says it would be a ‘great honor’ to be jailed for violating gag order

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...order-merchan/

Former president Donald Trump said Saturday that it would be a “great honor” to be jailed for violating a gag order, marking an escalation in attacks he’s made against New York Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan and other court officials in a case about to go to trial.

On Monday, Merchan, the judge overseeing Trump’s hush money trial set to begin on April 15, expanded his gag order against Trump to include both the judge’s family as well as Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s family. That move came after Trump personally attacked Merchan’s daughter, calling her a “Rabid Trump Hater” and suggesting that the judge was “compromised” because of her work for a Democratic-aligned digital marketing company.

Writing on the Truth Social platform on Saturday, Trump dared Merchan to throw him in jail. He also compared himself again to Nelson Mandela, a political prisoner who became the first president of a post-apartheid South Africa.

“If this Partisan Hack wants to put me in the ‘clink’ for speaking the open and obvious TRUTH, I will gladly become a Modern Day Nelson Mandela — It will be my GREAT HONOR,” Trump wrote. “We have to Save our Country from these Political Operatives masquerading as Prosecutors and Judges, and I am willing to sacrifice my Freedom for that worthy cause.”

Trump has continued to test the boundaries of the gag order, persistently sharing links to stories on Truth Social that echo his critiques. In a Truth Social post written after the gag order was expanded, Trump also said that Merchan “should be recused, and the case should be thrown out,” adding that “there has virtually never been a more conflicted judge than this one.”

A recent Washington Post analysis of Trump’s social media posts since the start of his campaign in late 2022 shows that he had directly attacked judges or their families by name more than 130 times. Merchan’s gag order doesn’t restrict Trump from attacking the judge or the district attorney directly.

It’s not clear if the judge will sanction Trump for any of his latest postings. Merchan can fine or jail Trump for violating the gag order. He has also said another consequence could be withholding jurors’ names from Trump’s lawyers.

Orders restricting the public statements by criminal defendants are common in judicial proceedings. Trump has been fined before for violating another judge’s gag order in the civil business-fraud lawsuit in New York that resulted in a $350 million penalty plus interest.

Trump’s campaign on Saturday called Merchan’s gag order “unconstitutional and un-American” in defending the actions. “President Trump has not violated this wrongful edict issued by a partisan operative and will continue to speak truth to power,” Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung said in a statement.

The trial Merchan is set to oversee this month stems from charges against Trump that allege he faked business records in connection with hush money payments to adult-film actress Stormy Daniels during the 2016 election.

Trump, the GOP’s presumptive presidential nominee, faces a total of 88 charges across four criminal cases. They include 44 federal charges and 44 state charges, all of them felonies. Trump has denied wrongdoing in each case.

This is not the first time Trump has compared himself to Mandela as a way to portray himself as a victim of political persecution. He told a crowd of supporters in October 2023, “I don’t mind being Nelson Mandela, because I’m doing it for a reason.”

The Biden campaign quickly criticized Trump for his comparison to Mandela, a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

“Imagine being so self-centered that you compare yourself to Jesus Christ and Nelson Mandela all within the span of little more than a week: that’s Donald Trump for you,” the Biden campaign’s director of Black media, Jasmine Harris, said in a statement.

Harris appeared to be referencing another Truth Social post recently made by Trump, where he seemingly compared himself to Jesus days before Easter-related observances while attending a pretrial hearing for his hush money case.

Trump wrote that someone sent him a text saying, “It’s ironic that Christ walked through His greatest persecution the very week they are trying to steal your property from you,” along with a Bible verse.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “Imagine being so self-centered that you compare yourself to Jesus Christ and Nelson Mandela all within the span of little more than a week: that’s Donald Trump for you,” the Biden campaign’s director of Black media, Jasmine Harris, said in a statement.
    Hmm, good to know that if I ever run for office (God save the country) I can appoint a Director of White Media in my campaign, to, I'm assuming, coordinate and poll and "spin" political issues and stories beneficial to Whites.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

THREAD: Trump indictment #1: Stormy Daniels hush money [Manhattan NYC]

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Trump slapped with gag order in Alvin Bragg's NYC 'fraudulent' docs case
    The judge in the NYC case imposed a gag order on the former president following Monday's hearing.
    https://thepostmillennial.com/new-tr...lent-docs-case
    {Thomas Stevenson | 26 March 2024}

The judge in the New York fraudulent documents case against Donald Trump slapped the former president with a gag order on Tuesday.

According to CNBC, Manhattan Supreme Court Judge Juan Merchan filed the motion on Tuesday after Monday's hearing that had Trump in attendance.

Trump is prohibited from making statements about the witnesses in the case as well as the lawyers involved with "intent to materially interfere" with the case. He can still make statements about NYC District Attorney Alvin Bragg.

He is not allowed to make similar statements with the “intent to materially interfere" about staff at the Manhattan District Attorney's office or court staff.

This comes after a press conference on Monday when Trump said there were potential conflicts of interest with multiple people involved in the case.

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/...13164840948172

Trump said, referring to the people at the Monday hearing in Manhattan, “You had [Matthew] Colangelo... Remember this, Colangelo was a DOJ guy. He’s a Biden DOJ guy. Why is he in the Manhattan DA’s office trying the case?”

"That in itself is a conflict," Trump added.

In a press release from Bragg’s office from Dec. 5, 2022, Colangelo was designated as a New Senior Counsel. The release stated, “Colangelo, who most recently served as a senior official at the U.S. Department of Justice, will focus on the Office’s cases, policies, and strategies in housing and tenant protection and labor and worker protection.”

It then added that Colangelo would be involved in the “Office’s most sensitive and high-profile white-collar investigations" at the time. The New York Times also reported on the hiring.

Trump also said during the presser, “You have Pomerantz, Mark Pomerantz, he was Hillary Clinton's lawyer, Democrat National Committee's lawyer. He worked in Paul Weiss. He walked in and he took over the district attorney's office, nobody's ever seen anything like that, to prosecute Trump.”

Trump also said that the multiple cases against him are "all about election interference."

"This is all Biden-run things, meaning Biden and his thugs, because I don't know if he knows he's alive."

President Trump dares judge in Alvin Bragg case to jail him for violating gag order
    "I am willing to sacrifice my Freedom for that worthy cause."
    https://thepostmillennial.com/breaki...ge-to-jail-him
    {The Post Millennial | 06 April 2024}

On Saturday, Donald Trump expressed that he would consider it a "great honor" to face imprisonment if he violated a gag order, signaling a heightened level of criticism directed towards New York Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan and other judicial figures involved in the Alvin Bragg trial in New York.

On Monday, Merchan, the judge presiding over Trump's hush money trial scheduled to commence on April 15, broadened his gag order against Trump to encompass not only the judge's family but also the family of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg.

Posting on his Truth Social account, Trump wrote, "Now, we have Merchan, who is not allowing me to talk, thereby violating the Law and the Constitution, all at once. It is so bad what he is trying to get away with - How was he even chosen for this case??? I heard he fought like hell to get it, and all of the rest of them also! If this Partisan Hack wants to put me in the "clink" for speaking the open and obvious TRUTH, I will gladly become a Modern Day Nelson Mandela - It will be my GREAT HONOR. We have to Save our Country from these Political Operatives masquerading as Prosecutors and Judges, and I am willing to sacrifice my Freedom for that worthy cause. We are a Failing Nation, but on November 5th, we will become a Great Nation again. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!"
    Merchan previously imposed a gag order on Trump, preventing him from discussing witnesses, lawyers, court staff, or their families, after he made comments about the judge's daughter.

The judge's daughter, Loren Merchan, is associated with left-leaning politics and has been involved in the Biden-Harris campaign. Her company, Authentic Campaigns, Inc., has received substantial funding from Democratic sources aiming to oppose Trump.

She was also revealed to have an account on X that featured a profile picture of Trump behind bars as if he were in prison.

Media outlets have portrayed Loren Merchan, who is 34 years old, in a manner that undermines Trump's freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment.

On Friday, President Trump filed a motion seeking the recusal of Judge Juan Merchan due to his daughter's involvement in political activities.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-07-2024 at 04:04 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

The law of averages says he is probably going to end up in jail for something eventually. The list of charges and cases is so long it seems almost impossible he wins them all.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    The law of averages says he is probably going to end up in jail for something eventually. The list of charges and cases is so long it seems almost impossible he wins them all.
    Well yeah if they kept slapping an overabundance of charges on any of us, eventually they could probably build a case.

Especially when their idea of justice involves starting out with the presumption of guilt and then trying to find a way to reach it.

If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honorable of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-08-2024 at 07:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Meanwhile still not in Jail
    The Russians have videos of me doing crazy

biden director of black media ? WTF. Love to see em spin loss of power of dollar in past 2 1/2 decades
    Do something Danke

LOL @ "the law of averages" having anything to do with it.

Averages don't matter when the dice are loaded.

Fewer than [half of] 1% of federal criminal defendants were acquitted in 2022
    https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...itted-in-2022/
    {John Gramlich | 14 June 2023}

Former President Donald Trump pleaded not guilty this week to federal criminal charges related to his alleged mishandling of classified documents after his departure from the White House in 2021. The unprecedented charges against Trump and his subsequent plea raise the question: How common is it for defendants in federal criminal cases to plead not guilty, go to trial and ultimately be acquitted?

In fiscal year 2022, only 290 of 71,954 defendants in federal criminal cases – about 0.4% – went to trial and were acquitted, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of the latest available statistics from the federal judiciary. Another 1,379 went to trial and were found guilty (1.9%).

The overwhelming majority of defendants in federal criminal cases that year did not go to trial at all. About nine-in-ten (89.5%) pleaded guilty, while another 8.2% had their case dismissed at some point in the judicial process, according to the data from the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts.

These statistics include all defendants charged in U.S. district courts with felonies and serious misdemeanors, as well as some defendants charged with petty offenses. They do not include federal defendants whose cases were handled by magistrate judges or the much broader universe of defendants in state courts. Defendants who entered pleas of “no contest,” in which they accept criminal punishment but do not admit guilt, are also excluded. The 2022 federal fiscal year began Oct. 1, 2021, and ended Sept. 30, 2022.

The U.S. Justice Department indicted Trump earlier this month on 37 counts relating to seven criminal charges: willful retention of national defense information, conspiracy to obstruct justice, withholding a document or record, corruptly concealing a document or record, concealing a document in a federal investigation, scheme to conceal, and false statements and representations.

Trump’s case is being heard in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, where acquittal rates look similar to the national average. In fiscal 2022, only 12 of 1,944 total defendants in the Southern District of Florida – about 0.6% – were acquitted at trial. As was the case nationally, the vast majority of defendants in Florida’s Southern District (86.2%) pleaded guilty that year, while 10.7% had their cases dismissed.

It’s not clear from the federal judiciary’s statistics how many other defendants nationally or in the Southern District of Florida faced the same or similar charges that Trump is facing or how those cases ended.

Broadly speaking, however, the charges against Trump are rare. In fiscal 2022, more than eight-in-ten federal criminal defendants in the United States faced charges related to one of four other broad categories of crime: drug offenses (31%), immigration offenses (25%), firearms and explosives offenses (16%) or property offenses (11%). In Florida’s Southern District, too, more than eight-in-ten defendants faced charges related to these four categories.

Trump, of course, is not a typical federal defendant. He is the first former president ever to face federal criminal charges and is running for president again in 2024. The federal case against Trump is still in its early stages, and it’s unclear when – or whether – it will proceed to trial.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Well yeah if they kept slapping an overabundance of charges on any of us, eventually they could probably build a case.
    That's exactly how they do it. They slather on the charges ("three felonies a day"), accumulating longer potential terms of incarceration - so defendants (who do not have the effectively "infinite" resources available to the feds) are strongly incentivized to accept deals in which they plead "guilty" in order to reduce or avoid lengthier prison sentences (keeping in mind that there is no parole for federal convictions).

The only alternative is to imagine that federal prosecutors are (1) so extremely competent that they are able to win even the iffiest cases (so much so that even innocent defendants feel compelled to acquiesce), or (2) so extremely restrained that they only ever take on cases that are obvious "slam dunks" (so much so that even guilty defendants feel compelled to acquiesce).
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-09-2024 at 04:48 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You're operating under the assumption that the Democrats actually want to put Trump in jail. That seems incredibly unlikely seeing as how the Democrats love making bank off him.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Of course he will, or perhaps dead from stress or bankrupted.

It's all the same to the Sovietized lawfare system.

At the end of the day, if they can't prove anything, they'll just manufacture something.

I found my opinion of Trump rising quite a bit over this. He doesn't need any of this $#@!, but continues to press on.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    You're operating under the assumption that the Democrats actually want to put Trump in jail. That seems incredibly unlikely seeing as how the Democrats love making bank off him.
    Honestly I have no idea if they do or not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Of course he will, or perhaps dead from stress or bankrupted.

It's all the same to the Sovietized lawfare system.

At the end of the day, if they can't prove anything, they'll just manufacture something.

I found my opinion of Trump rising quite a bit over this. He doesn't need any of this $#@!, but continues to press on.
    I think maybe he is pressing on with his campaign in hopes he can get immunity again or pardon himself. Who knows really. I never would have expected to have a Republican nominee with 90 indictments. If you told me that 4 years ago I would have laughed and said it was impossible.

[bold emphasis added]
    Fewer than [half of] 1% of federal criminal defendants were acquitted in 2022
    https://www.pewresearch.org/short-re...itted-in-2022/
    {John Gramlich | 14 June 2023}

[...]

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    That's exactly how they do it. They slather on the charges ("three felonies a day"), accumulating longer potential terms of incarceration - so defendants (who do not have the effectively "infinite" resources available to the feds) are strongly incentivized to accept deals in which they plead "guilty" in order to reduce or avoid lengthier prison sentences (keeping in mind that there is no parole for federal convictions).

The only alternative is to imagine that federal prosecutors are (1) so extremely competent that they are able to win even the iffiest cases (so much so that even innocent defendants feel compelled to acquiesce), or (2) so extremely restrained that they only ever take on cases that are obvious "slam dunks" (so much so that even guilty defendants feel compelled to acquiesce).
    "The only alternative is to imagine that federal prosecutors are (1) so extremely competent that they are able to win even the iffiest cases (so much so that even innocent defendants feel compelled to acquiesce), or (2) so extremely restrained that they only ever take on cases that are obvious "slam dunks" (so much so that even guilty defendants feel compelled to acquiesce)." -- me (above)

"Constitutionally prescribed jury trials have been almost completely displaced by plea-driven mass adjudication. As a result, prosecutors can be—and evidence shows have in fact become—far less discriminating in choosing which cases to pursue." -- Clark Nelly (below)

File under "Three Felonies a Day":

https://twitter.com/ConLawWarrior/st...36118133440692
    to: https://twitter.com/ConLawWarrior/st...36136810672286
    {Clark Nelly @ConLawWarrior | 26 April 2024}

[bold emphasis added - OB]

Just beneath the surface of the Trump immunity case lies the fact that our CJ system has gone so off the rails that few people—especially if they’ve done anything interesting like run for office or start a business—can be confident they haven’t committed multiple felonies. /1

Is it reasonable for future presidents and executive-branch officials to be concerned that the decision whether to prosecute them for *something* they did in office will end up being purely a matter of prosecutorial largesse? Absolutely—just like the rest of us. /2

We live in a wildly overcriminalized society where even the govt has lost track of how many laws are on the books—true fact: DOJ has repeatedly tried and failed to count just the number of federal criminal laws on the books, which is of course just the tip of the iceberg. /3

And it’s not just the number of crimes on the books—it’s how many have no connection to any coherent sense of right and wrong, meaning that even a good, peaceful, civically engaged person’s moral compass provides no reliable protection against inadvertently breaking the law. /4

Case in point: Several years ago, I was put in touch with an elderly woman who inherited a taxidermied critter from a dear, deceased friend. After she could no longer afford to keep it in climate-controlled storage, she decided to sell it on eBay. The first purported buyer…/5

Turned out to be an undercover (!) state fish & wildlife agent who (in his infinite grace) charged her with a misdemeanor while advising her they’d bump it up to a felony if she refused to plead. She did and they did. Which is when I got involved. Question for New Yorkers: /6

Do you have a clear idea which stuffed critters you may possess and which ones it’s a felony for you to possess? The answer for most of you is no you do not. I’m confident of that in part because it took me 20 mins to find the relevant statute—and I knew what I was looking for./7

Now, this grotesque overcriminalization would be much less of a problem if obtaining a conviction were has heavy a lift for the govt as the Constitution requires it to be—particularly the part where they have to persuade a unanimous jury of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. /8

But that’s not our system anymore. Constitutionally prescribed jury trials have been almost completely displaced by plea-driven mass adjudication. As a result, prosecutors can be—and evidence shows have in fact become—far less discriminating in choosing which cases to pursue. /9

Which brings us full circle. Is Trump’s claim that he should be immune from prosecution for trying to steal the 2020 election hot, steaming garbage? Yup. But are the justices right to be concerned about how the rule in this case could be abused in future cases? Also yup. /end

Merchan Holds Trump in Criminal Contempt for Gag Order Violations, Threatens Jail

Judge Merchan Holds Donald Trump in Criminal Contempt for Gag Order Violations, Threatens Jail Time

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...er-violations/

30 Apr 2024

New York County Judge Juan Merchan has ruled that former President Donald Trump violated a gag order during his trial, holding him in criminal contempt and threatening him with jail time for any further infractions.

Merchan also ordered Trump to remove the “seven offending posts” from Truth Social.

“Defendant is hereby warned that the Court will not tolerate continued willful violations of its lawful orders and that if necessary and appropriate under the circumstances, it will impose an incarceratory punishment,” the judge wrote in the order:

ORDERED, that Defendant pay a $1,000 fine for each of the nine violations of this Court’s lawful order by the close of business on Friday, May 3, 2024; and it is further ORDERED that Defendant remove the seven offending posts from Defendant’s Truth Social account and the two offending posts from his campaign website by 2:15pm Tuesday, April 30, 2024.

Merchan had the authority to send Trump to jail for up to 30 days for allegedly violating his gag order. Democrat Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg backed down from asking the judge to jail Trump for allegedly violating the order, according to court reporters.

Petty leftist-Marxist tyrants. Expect nothing but kangaroo courts and show-trials from these corrupt judges.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Why does Trump keep doing this to himself? He need to just shut the $#@! up and take the cases seriously if he doesn't want to die in prison.

OMG who TF cares at this point.

The system is rigged. Welcome to the 20th century, everyone.

Trump promised to burn some of this nonsense to the ground. He didn't. He hired people who were responsible for it.

Now it's biting him in the rear.

Screw him.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post

Trump promised to burn some of this nonsense to the ground. He didn't. He hired people who were responsible for it.

Screw him.
    Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. Hard to follow the palace intrigue.

I'd be more impressed if he just came out and said, "Contempt?? I have contempt for this whole damned system!"
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Welcome to the 20th century, everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at.
    You wish.

I know you do because I want it back too. If that were where I was at right now, I'd kiss the ground.

How about you, @Anti Federalist. Want the 20th Century back?

Last edited by acptulsa; 04-30-2024 at 01:00 PM.

I'm all in for a time machine.

Even if it hurts.

Last edited by sparebulb; 04-30-2024 at 01:06 PM.

Screw him.
    In terms of his defense team or his administration appointees?

Screw him.
    What’s funny is that Trump could easily burn this whole system down if he wanted to. As a former president, he has access to information and secrets that could easily bring the Deep State to its knees. Instead he won’t use ANY of it this election cycle because he wants to protect the system.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 04-30-2024 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    You wish.

I know you do because I want it back too. If that were where I was at right now, I'd kiss the ground.

How about you, @Anti Federalist. Want the 20th Century back?

$#@!...like you have to ask?

Why does Trump keep doing this to himself? He need to just shut the $#@! up and take the cases seriously if he doesn't want to die in prison.
    He wants to be a martyr.

He has said he'd be willing to go to prison over this.

There's the continuing Trump saga and there's the issue of how in the hell did it ever come to be that a judge can take away anyone's first amendment rights? Short of threats to kill someone, why shouldn't any defendant speak freely?
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

-GLP poster

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    There's the continuing Trump saga and there's the issue of how in the hell did it ever come to be that a judge can take away anyone's first amendment rights? Short of threats to kill someone, why shouldn't any defendant speak freely?
    Gag rules started in the US Capital in the 1830s.

They were applied to, surprise surprise, those groups and people arguing against the abolition of slavery, after the pro slavery majority "tabled" petitions that were arriving from abolitionist states in New England and the North.

Nothing new under the sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gag_rule_(United_States)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/gag_order

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinio...princess-anne/

Based on legal precedent, I think what is happening to Trump is grossly unconstitutional, especially considering that he is in the middle of a campaign, and "lawfare" is a legitimate and valid campaign issue.

Yet no court is moving agaisnt Biden or Hunter Biden....

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Gag rules started in the US Capital in the 1830s.

They were applied to, surprise surprise, those groups and people arguing against the abolition of slavery, after the pro slavery majority "tabled" petitions that were arriving from abolitionist states in New England and the North.

Nothing new under the sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gag_rule_(United_States)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/gag_order

https://www.courtlistener.com/opinio...princess-anne/

Based on legal precedent, I think what is happening to Trump is grossly unconstitutional, especially considering that he is in the middle of a campaign, and "lawfare" is a legitimate and valid campaign issue.
    That all needs to go. If it's not taken up as a court case, in order to overturn anything previous, it needs to be ignored, just as Trump is doing. A defendant should never have their first amendment rights restrained. It looks like Trump could be jailed over this. That would be interesting.
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

-GLP poster

The whole thing's asinine. What he's charged with isn't even illegal.

-GLP poster

This joke trial was designed from the start to go down in flames. They even built in some nepotism to help it fail more spectacularly in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast